Friday, November 16, 2007

Paul Weyrich: Why I Endorse Gov. Mitt Romney


The Romney Difference

By: Paul Weyrich
The Washington Times

"Why did I endorse Gov. Mitt Romney for president of the United States? Let me count the ways. But first let me comment on the Mormon question. Nearly every critical message against my endorsement used the governor's Mormon religion as the reason I should not have done so. If we were endorsing Mr. Romney for head of the Southern Baptist Convention, or in my case as head of the synod of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, the objections of these Evangelical Christians would be wholly appropriate. But we are not.


"The issue here is simply this: Is Mr. Romney competent to be president of this great country? Indeed he is. Mr. Romney has the experience, vision and values to be president."


... "Now, to my reasons for endorsing the governor: First, the winning coalition for conservatives consists of defense and economic and social principles. The governor holds all of these principles dear. In the defense arena, Mr. Romney is a strong supporter of missile defense." ...


"Second, he is a strong believer in the free enterprise system. Mr. Romney understands that Americans are taxed too much. Mr. Romney, just as John F. Kennedy, Mr. Reagan and President Bush, understands that tax cuts propel our economy forward, while at the same time bringing additional revenue to the treasury, since more businesses are employing more workers who, in turn, are paying more taxes.


"And third, on the social issues front, the governor supports the Federal Marriage Amendment and the Right to Life Amendment. He is also sound on other social issues, such as stem-cell research.


"That brings me to another point: Mr. Romney listens. We don't agree on everything. I don't know of any candidate with whom I agree on absolutely everything. The governor gives me the opportunity to make my views known to him. He is open to reasonable argument." ...


"I thought long and hard before contacting the Romney folks about an endorsement. That's right. I went to the governor first. I am confident I will never regret my decision."


Paul M. Weyrich is Chairman and CEO of the Free Congress Research and Education Foundation.